CIS: “If I leave the UK, do I still have to file a Tax Return?”


It is very easy to forget about reclaiming any UK tax during the course of moving away, after all it can be a very stressful time. But it is good news for contractors as you may still be able to claim a tax refund even if you leave the UK.

To make the process as simple as possible for you, we have noted a few points that may help you when considering claiming for a tax refund.

Can I claim a tax refund if I move abroad? If you have worked as a contractor and incurred expenses from working in the UK, you may still be able to claim tax back. You can claim tax for the last three years even if you have been out of the country for part of that financial year.

As long as you have completed a self-assessment tax return for the financial year, there is a chance that you could be owed a tax rebate.

What do I need to do? If you decide to leave the UK, you will need to inform HMRC of your intention in your self-assessment tax return (SA109). Note, however, that you can only complete this by postal return and not online. You should also complete a P85 form which details any outstanding tax you may be owed. You can find more information and electronically submit your form on HMRC’s portal. Similarly, you should inform HMRC if you plan to return and work in the country again. You will be considered a UK resident if you stay for 183 days or more. You will also need to keep a UK bank account open if you are eligible for a tax rebate.

If however you become a client of ours, we can request the refund and transfer to your designated account wherever you are (less any charges made by the sending/receiving banks).

How can I calculate my tax rebate? To calculate how much tax you could claim back, you will need details of your income, your earnings and the expenses you have incurred in the financial year.

Get in touch! For more information or to start your tax return today, please contact us via our online contact form below or give us a call on 01670 897407 or email to speak to one of our friendly experts.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest